The expression â€˜Hydroponicsâ€™ is used to denote the method of rearing plants in nutrient solutions instead of in the earth. This is a new way in which plants are cultivated in water which has nutrients dissolved in it. This method is also denoted by different names like indoor gardening, agriculture and tank farming.
Although Hydroponics appears to be extremely complicated and scientific, it is actually as simple as and possibly even simpler than normal, conventional gardening.
Both types of gardening require water, light, nutrients and humidity, and this necessity makes them similar.
Soil is not required by Hydroponics. It uses an alternative for soil for the purpose of binding the roots. Water transports the nutrients. Hydroponics can be done inside the house. Plants react positively to this method and prosper.
The nutrient solution should be carefully deliberated upon for Hydroponics. On being thinned, the solution requires a ph of 5 to 6. A pump and timer is generally employed to automatically water the plants which have to be watered more than thrice daily.
Researches have shown that roots of plants can absorb nutrients though devoid of soil. Hydroponics utilizes the idea that plants grow even when they are devoid of soil.
The person acknowledged as the pioneer in the field of Hydroponics is professor Gericke of the University of California, Davis. By cultivating tomato plants in water to an impressive dimension, he established his contraption. To denote the cultivation of plants in water, he devised the term â€˜Hydroponicsâ€™.
Nearly all plants can be cultivated using Hydroponics. The novel methods of Hydroponics gardening and Hydroponics farming are well-liked nowadays.
Advantages of hydroponics
In the case of paucity of land, Hydroponics is very helpful. It is becoming exceedingly advantageous and lucrative for farmers. The advantages of Hydroponics are as follows:
- It eliminates diseases and weeds that are carried by soil.
- The soil does not have to be ploughed or tilled.
- As plants can be planted extremely near to each other, the method is useful when there is insufficient land available.
- Little pieces of land can be utilized for Hydroponics.
- The method is high-yielding, fruitful; a huge quantity of foodstuffs can be got by utilizing a little area of land.
- In contrast to conventional farming, Hydroponics need only a little water.
- Plants of superior quality are produced when the surroundings are properly managed.
- In this method, it is feasible to cultivate plants all over the year.
Prospects of hydroponics
Hydroponics appears to have brilliant prospects. It is feasible to cultivate plants at all places, in all conditions and in all climates as the plants are reared within.
With the help of this process, plants can be reared in Antarctica. Vegetables and fruits can perhaps be grown in space someday with the help of methods like Hydroponics and Aeroponics.