If you observe your plants and find ragged, chewed or missing leaves, or holes in stems or branches, immediately take the necessary steps to save it from dangerous pests. Pestâ€™s damage, weaken plants, reduces yields and in some cases, kills your beautiful plants of your garden, if left unattended
Here are a few tips to keep pests under control in ways that are safe for you and the environment:
- Use certified seed or stock whenever possible.
- Make sure crop seed and organic soil amendments, including manure, are free of weed seeds and pathogens.
- Seek out lists of pest-resistant plants for your area.
- Check transplants, especially plants that you are moving from another garden, for the presence of pests/insects or diseases.
- Check the roots for symptoms of root knot nematodes on weekly basis.
- Do not move soil into your garden that you suspect may be infested with nematodes, stems of Bermuda grass or nut sedge tubers.
- Composting is a good way to destroy most crops and weed residues around the garden, and also control pests that may be harbored in the residues.Â If done correctly, composting will control all insect pests.
- Examine plants at least twice a week throughout the growing season.
- A best way to control pests in your garden is check and removes weeds in and around your garden on weekly basis and before you makes new plantings. Not only do weeds produce seeds that may find their way into your garden, they are also likely sources of insect pests.
- Match plants to the right location. A plant under stress because it’s in the wrong place will be vulnerable to pests.
- Diversify your garden by growing a wide variety of flowers, shrubs and trees. This provides both food and a haven for birds that dine on harmful pests.
- Use yellow sticky traps to control whiteflies around tomatoes, or other pests such as aphids, leafhoppers, leaf miners and wasps.
The best way to control pests is to maintain a healthy garden. Good watering schedules and nutrient levels, proper fertilization produce healthy plants that are much more resistant to pests. Also, get rid of pests as soon as you notice them.