Super foods seem to be under the spotlight for their special characteristics. These are food items oozing with nutrition. According to nutritionists, they are a rich source of nutrients, vitamins, and minerals and play a major role in prevention of diseases, and enhancing longevity and good health. Examples of such nutrient-rich foods are:
- Green Tea
- Fruits such as Apricots, Bananas, Strawberries, Pineapple, Citrus fruits, Mango, Papaya
- Chili peppers
The best method is to grow your own fruits and vegetables, in your own garden. Gardening is one of the best ways to get really close to Mother Nature and it is a sure recipe for health, fun, profit, and also exercise, both mental and physical. As we all know, fruits and vegetables begin to depreciate in nutrient value as soon as they are severed from the plant. So, nothing but gardening gives us the healthiest food. This is because the picked-to-table time is the lowest, thus ensuring minimum loss of nutrition.
Vegetable gardens are back in style in todayâ€™s health-conscious society. Approximately, 50 percent of American families own vegetable gardens. You donâ€™t have to look around for land to make a garden. An unused plot in your backyard or side yard can very well be turned into a garden. If you donâ€™t have enough space, donâ€™t worry. There are many alternatives available. A container vegetable garden, a vertical vegetable garden, a window box garden, a raised bed garden, or vines running up trellises can serve as gardens too. You can also mix vegetable plants with your already present landscape.
Even if you are a greenhorn when it comes to plant a vegetable garden, you will not face too many hassles. Free information on the Internet is overflowing and most of it is explained in laymanâ€™s terms. So, you should have no problem learning how to garden.
Vegetables are full of fiber and vitamins. Regular intake of fruits and vegetables not only reduces the risk of cancer, but also as research shows, decreases the risk of chronic diseases of the heart and stroke. Convincing evidence proves that fruits and vegetables positively reduce the occurrence of high blood pressure, asthma, cataracts, osteoporosis, diverticulosis, bronchitis and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Five or more servings of fruits and vegetables on a daily basis are known to reduce health disorders markedly.
Benefits of vegetable gardens:Your vegetable garden will be the ultimate source of FRESH veggies (no vegetables can be fresher than those that you harvest yourself!)
- You will get maximum nutrition that veggies can possibly deliver, from every harvest. This will also end the grumble-stories regarding store-bought produce. No more worries about quality of food.
- You will know the fertilizers or pesticides used and the soil condition in which the vegetables were grown. This will ensure that you are not eating any poisonous or potentially harmful chemicals with your food.
- Vegetable gardens are another name for better health.
- Promote family participation thus allowing more involvement in planting, harvesting and cooking of vegetables and herbs and preparation of fruit salads.
- Helps you to lose weight in two ways: 1) The exercise that goes in to make your garden and maintain it 2) Vegetables are poor cousins of junk food in the calorie family.