Tips for Indoor Vegetable Gardening
If you love gardening, but your efforts to have a bountiful garden in the open are proving to be hopeless, then how about an option of
indoor vegetable gardening.
This would not only give you the same amount of mental satisfaction, but you also get an array of healthy and delicious vegetables. Growing vegetables indoors will give you many health benefits that would be discussed in this article along with some important tips for
indoor vegetable gardening.
Vegetable Gardening Indoors – How to Start?
Indoor gardening is a pretty good idea, especially for those who have a limited outdoor space. So what is your role in indoor gardening. Here are some of the tips that you need to follow before, during, and after gardening.
Let us look at some of the basic steps that you need to take for keeping your garden fresh and healthy. However, before actually learning about planting them, lets take a quick look at some of the pre-gardening measures:
- The first thing is to select a place at your home, where you want the vegetable garden to be.
- Choose a place that is slightly away from the central part of the house and that which receives proper sunlight.
- As you are going to plant these vegetables indoor, you need to get yourself the required containers.
- The best thing for containers are the ceramic ones or the earthen pots. Plastic may get heated due to sunlight and can cause more harm than good to the plants.
- Make sure that the containers you use are cleaned properly, if they had been used for some other purpose. If you do not clean them then the plants can get infected with the toxic substances, which mixes with the soil.
- Another important thing is that the containers that you select must be able to bear the weight of the plant that you would want to plant in them.
- For example, creeper plants and vines hanging from lightweight containers. This is not a suitable option.
- Once the containers are picked, you need to make a list of vegetables that you would want to plant.
- Once the plants are decided, you can just go further with the gardening process.
Vegetable gardening inside is actually quite easy and once you are done with the planning and have followed the steps for pre-gardening, you can move on to the actual gardening. Here are some of the simple instructions given below:
- Firstly, decide or make a list of the vegetables that you would want to plant.
- Secondly, choose three vegetables that need the similar soil types and the amount of sunshine. This way you would have different plants growing at the same time, without much stress on how to care for them.
- Some of the best indoor vegetables to be grown are easy and small to be grown like carrots, beetroot, peppers, radishes, potatoes, okra, etc.
- If you are concerned about the soil then you need to take an extra effort in the beginning. This means, you just cannot pick the soil from outside your house and use them for growing inside.
- You may need soil that has more silica and zinc with less amount of clay in it.
- Another important factor is to see that it drains water easily. This is done because the soil remains moist and sometimes excessive moisture can prove to be harmful to the plants.
- Make a fixed schedule for watering your indoor plants regularly, depending on their needs.
Once you have successfully planted the vegetables, all you need to do is take proper care of them. This is done so that these plants bear healthy and good vegetables, which are ready to be eaten. You may also have to carry out some of the simple tips like using natural insecticides, using good organic fertilizers, checking for diseases and infestations, and finally draining the excess water that gets collected in the soil. However, the good news is that the chances for infestation in vegetable gardening indoor are very less.
This is all about
indoor vegetable gardening
and so, what are you waiting for? Go ahead and start indoor gardening to get those fresh and luscious vegetables.