Growing Russian Sage From Seed
The plant of Russian sage is a woody perennial which is mostly found in the mountains of the central Asia. This plant not exactly the sage but the leaves are bruised out a smell similar to that of sage comes out. These are capable enough to tolerate the drought conditions and are also least bothered about the pests and diseases. They make sure that the soil in which they grow is properly drained and could survive the winter with the help of a protective mulch. In this article we will be discussing some of the steps which can be followed for growing Russian sage from seed.
Steps To Grow Russian Sage From Seed:
Some of the steps which can be followed to grow Russian sage from seed are:
- The seeds of Russian sage are chilled for 4-6 weeks in a refrigerator by keeping them in a plastic bag.
- Once they are chilled, sow them in a pot having a proper medium for the growing seeds. Avoid covering the seeds entirely and provide them with a temperature of 60-65 F for their proper growth. It will take nearly 1-4 weeks for the seeds to germinate.
- Once the seeds germinate and attains a height of 1 inches, grow them under the lights till the winters are gone. When the stem of the plants starts hardening up place these pots outside in shade for sometime before transplanting them into the ground.
Steps To Grow Russian Sage From Tip Layering Process:
Some of the steps which are required to grow Russian sage from tip layering are:
- Bend the branch of the Russian sage into the soil, till the time it touches the ground completely.Make sure that you push the branch till the time it is in contact with soil.
- Now, mound the soil about 6 inches above the end of the branch. The placement of the branch must be at least 1 inches below the surface. The placement of the brick or rock over this mould with ensure its proper fixation.
- Water this part regularly and make sure that the weeds are also regularly cleaned. Within a time span of 3-4 months the roots will grow from the buried part of the branch. Then cut it off from from the mother plant and transplant it separately in the ground for its further growth.