Homemade Pesticide Recipes for Your Garden
Are you troubled with the infestation of tiny pests in your garden? Now you must be thinking of getting pesticide spray cans or chemical or even hiring an exterminator. These chemical pesticides are only good for removing pests otherwise they are toxic for the environment, plants and your health too. For controlling your garden pest there are large number of natural and herbal options are available for you.
Some of the most effective and safe home remedies for removing your garden pests are listed below:
- To say good-bye to garden insects and slugs try mixing aluminum foil strips with your garden mulch. Aluminum foil not only deters garden pests but due to its reflective property it also gives your plants a solar boost.
- Another effective remedy to get rid of garden pests is to use mothballs. You can simply toss few mothballs in your flowerbed or garden. Another way to use mothballs against garden pest is to seal your pest infected plant with few mothballs in a clean plastic bag. After a week remove your pest free plant from the plastic bag.
- Onion concoction is an effective home remedy to get rid off garden pests especially from your vegetables and flowers. With the help of a blender make a smooth paste of 4 onions, 2 tbsp of cayenne pepper, 2 garlic cloves and 1 quart of water. Before using this homemade pesticide dilute this puree with 2 tbsp of soap flakes and 2 gallons of water. Now spray this diluted homemade pesticide on your pest infected plants.
- To protect your plants, vegetables and flowers from pests simply mix flour and black pepper powder. Now sprinkle this mixture around the plants.
- You can prepare an insecticidal soap at home by dissolving 1 tsp of any liquid dish soap in 1 liter of water. This solution is effective in getting rid off whiteflies, thrips, spider mites and aphids.
- Blend a garlic clove with almost 2 cups of water and allow it to stand for 24 hours. Strain this solution and dilute it with 4 liters of water. To this diluted solution add 1-2 drops of insecticidal soap and spray this solution on the infected plants especially with thrips, aphids, spider mites or whiteflies.
- Boil a pot full of horsetail with water and then on low flame for at least 45-60 minutes. Allow it to cool and strain it. Now with water dilute this horsetail decoction at least 9 times. To 1 liter of diluted horsetail decoction add Â½ tsp of insecticidal soap. This homemade insecticide is highly effective against rust, powdery mildew and downy mildew. For better results spray this solution at least every two weeks.
- In 1 liter of boiling water steep 7gms of dried chamomile flowers. Allow it to cool and strain the infusion. This chamomile infusion is effective in controlling damping of seedlings.
- To 1 liter of water dissolve 1 tsp of baking soda and also add few drops of any liquid dish soap. This homemade solution is effective against blackspot, powdery mildew and rust. For best results it is advisable that you spray this solution at least after 1-2 weeks.
You can even find more home remedies to get rid off garden pests. But make sure that even while using homemade insecticides follow all the safety measures. Donâ€™t forget to wear gloves and protective face mask. And after spraying these simple and ease home remedies make sure that you wash your hands thoroughly with water.